Notes from all over
Sorry, kids, about the major lack of postings this week. I have been chained to my desk for 12 hours daily, trying to close the March issue. Finally, we have finished, and I'm going to try to do as little work today as possible. Now, onto all the fashion news from the past four days...

Two takes on Tom Ford's last menswear show for Gucci: WWD vs. NYT.

Store news from WWD: Michael Kors' Kors store in Soho to close January 24; the West Village's Hudson Street is the place for new designers to open boutiques. They also speculate as to the future of the former Garber's Hardware store at 8th Avenue and W. 4th Street. Now, if I may, I'm going to get up on my soapbox and bitch. Garber's Hardware has been around since the 1800s and is the oldest family-run store in the city. As far as hardware stores go, it is an incredibly pleasant place to shop--i.e. the people who work there are extremely helpful and never speak to me in a patronizing, "you dumb broad" way. It's crappy that such a small, friendly, family-run business was forced out by high rents (Garber's did relocate to Greenwich St. and Charles); as much as I love to shop (clearly, you all know this), I'm going to be really annoyed if Giorgio Armani or something like that moves in. And I'm going to be really upset if, like Soho, my beloved West Village turns into a designer strip mall. Okay, I'm done.

From NYT, the Gap's new designers, who, from what I can tell so far, are into cute '50s-style pastel sweaters and capri pants for spring. You can check out new arrivals at Gap.com.

Yesterday, Daily Candy had sample sales; Wednesday they featured Sarah James shoes, by appointment only.

Style.com has Erno Lazlo's No. 3-9 cream and pearls picked by Candy Pratts Price.

Finally, from the NYP: the best winter parkas.

No comments