Paris Fashion Week roundup
So I've been totally slacking with my Fashion Week updates. Which is too bad, because, as everyone pretty much agrees, Paris is where the most interesting stuff is happening, fashion-wise. So here's what Cathy Horyn has to say: She hated Yohji Yamamoto (quite surprising, since he's usually such a critics' darling); is mezmerized by Balenciaga, while also praising Dior and Gaultier; praises Belgians Olivier Theyskens and Dries van Noten while panning Ungaro and Stella McCartney (whose collection was rather boring, yes); gives more praise to innovators YSL and Chanel; questions the modernity of Alexander McQueen and Comme des Garcons; and learns to love "overload" at Vuitton. Whew!

For the record, my three favorite Paris shows were Balenciaga, Rochas, and Alexander McQueen. I love the clean, mod shapes at Balenciaga, and he arguably makes the hottest skinny trousers around--so much so that I want to, to paraphrase Atoosa Rubenstein, start dieting now so I can fit into them by fall. Rochas is just so understatedly glamorous yet cool; these are clothes you could wear every day (if you could afford to). And McQueen is just a virtuoso; I'm willing to argue that no other designer of his generation can tailor as well as he can. I love to pop into his store on 14th Street just to look around and be inspired (in fact I did so on Saturday after my appointment at Sally Hershberger; while I was there, I got on the waiting list for a skull scarf).

And just when you thought you were done, Los Angeles Fashion Week starts next Friday. Expect lots of tees, jeans, and former America's Next Top Model contestants.

No comments