Website of the week
While the last week has been a bit more tolerable, the weather this summer has really been kicking my ass. I hate, hate, hate extreme heat, and I hate humidity even more. Needless to say, I am really eager for fall, however, I haven't read all of my September fashion magazines yet, and thus my fall fashion shopping list is still a work in progress. So what can I shop for in this late-summer, early-fall no man's land? Shoes! Habitat Shoes is the web presence of a shoe store by the same name in, of all places, Kansas City. Run by a husband and wife team, Habitat is unpretentious, unassuming, and shopping it feels like hanging out at a cool couple's apartment and checking out their closet. The focus of the site is shoes for men and women, but there are some accessories and clothes for both genders as well. You can shop by category, then by designer within each category. Or you can head straight to the sale section. Designers represented include everything from '90s fave John Fluevog to current darlings Faryl Robin and Seychelles. Item descriptions are very detailed and even note whether the shoe runs true to size--very useful info when shopping online.

I tried on this Faryl Robin shoe last weekend at Nordstrom Rack; I kind of regretted not buying it, but, hey, they have it in my size here!


With its round toe and stacked heel, this John Fluevog boot is oh-so current. His shoes are very well made and definitely worth the price.


This herringbone flat by Palladium looks like the perfect weekend shoe, but you could totally get away with wearing it to work too, due to the menswear fabric.


I love Mary Janes of all shapes and sizes, and the squared-off toe, striped trim, and fresh color make this pair by Poetic License a must-have for me.


And I think this might be a men's belt, but it's gorgeous nonetheless.


Like that other shoe website (um, that would be the money-minting Zappos), Habitat offers free shipping on all domestic orders, but unlike shopping at Zappos, I feel like I'm supporting a small, locally-owned business, which is always a plus for me. After all, I'd rather hang out with friends than kick back with a multinational corporation.

1 comment

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post Cheryl. That belt is actually a woman's....new Fall arrivals every week now through November! Cheers.