Website of the week
My dear acupuncturist*, JL, is leaving tomorrow for London and Paris, so I sent her a list of where to go shopping. She already knew about Topshop, which is actually deserving of the hype. But as I was compiling my list, I realized that while, yes, British clothing stores are awesome, their shoe stores are possibly even better. One of my favorite Brit shoe stores, Office, was a past website of the week here at Cheryl Shops. Of course, Topshop sells shoes too, but unfortunately they don't ship to the U.S. Yet. So in the meantime, there's Neet Shoes, a site that sells a small but focused collection of, well, neat shoes. I love British shoe stores because unlike most American shoe stores, which sell a lot of basic, tasteful styles in neutral colors like black and brown, the Brits know how to have a bit of fun with their footwear. Take, for instance, this Lisa boot. It's black, rounded toe and with a sturdy two-inch heel, but the paneling at the ankle is a clever way to disguise the elastic gussets--and it's unlike anything else you'd see in the States.


I'm generally not a big fan of pre-slouched slouchy boots, but this one has such interesting detailing, with the suede cuff and the drawstring, that I don't even mind.


I never thought I'd want a pair of teal and metallic blue knee-high boots, but I'm finding this style absolutely irresistable. I have no idea what I'd wear with them, but that's never stopped me before.


Of course I love the Imogen flat because it has a butterfly on it, but it's the first pair of butterfly shoes I've seen that hasn't looked totally slutty. In fact, they look rather smart.


And their "party shoes" definitely live up to the name--I love the mermaid-like look of the Adriana flat, and the heel is suitable for all-night dancing and schmoozing.


Now, I have good news and bad news. Bad news first: As anyone who reads the newspaper knows, the dollar is not exactly strong right now, and exchange rates aren't in our favor. In fact, it's almost two dollars to the pound. So while these shoes are quite reasonable for the Brits, they're in the $125-$250 range for us. But the good news, other than the fact that you'll have the coolest shoes ever, is that shipping is a flat rate, so you can order as many pairs as you want and not get charged extra for it. Well, except at customs. But, hey, it's still more affordable than a trip to London, right?

*If you need an acupuncturist referral, e-mail me. JL kicks ass.

No comments