Fall 2007: Kai Kühne
Spurred on by my successful offsite trip to the VPL show, Thursday afternoon I ventured to the National Arts Club in Gramercy Park for Kai Kühne's show. Kai, a founding member of the fashion collective AsFour, is, well, the reason AsFour is now known as ThreeAsFour. So, I was expecting a bit of kookiness, but as I entered the club, Kai himself was leading the models on a walk-through (something that normally happens way before the audience is let in). Saying the show was disorganized would be a gross understatement, and I don't think I could possibly do a better job of describing the debacle than The Shophound did, so I suggest reading his account here. My only addition is that when my bladder couldn't wait any longer and I went downstairs to the bathroom at 3:55, two models and all of the clothes were just arriving. I feel like the only other designer who runs this late is Marc Jacobs, and, well, he's Marc Jacobs. Anyway, the collection was overall actually quite stunning, although there were more than a few bits of ka-ray-zy mixed in; I think it would be safe to say that Kai could benefit from a little focus. Good luck with that.

No comments