Website of the week
I often complain about shopping the sale racks for shoes, because I wear a size 8.5, and due to the lack of inventory that often greets me, I am convinced that this is the most popular size. I've heard the same complaint, however, from friends who wear anywhere from a size 7 to a size 9; on the other hand, friends who are at the extreme ends of the spectrum--size 5 or size 11--lament the fact that stores tend to stock only one pair of shoes in their size, so if someone else beat them to it, tough luck. With all of these availability issues, it makes sense that shoe websites are so popular, because with their huge warehouses, they can stock way more sizes and styles than the average bricks-and-mortar store. And then there's Barefoot Tess, a site dedicated to supplying shoes of all sizes...all the way up to a 14. What's more, many of the shoe descriptions have "fit tips" describing whether a shoe runs short, long, wide, or narrow, and, even better, when you click on size chart, they give you accurate conversions from European sizes (such as an American 8 is a European 39). Designer-wise, they carry everything from low-end (Dollhouse, Havianas) to mid-range (Delman, Kate Spade) and many cult lines (Loeffler Randall, Repetto). You can shop by designer, style, size, width, what's new, or you can check out the site's selection of jewelry and handbags (after all, who can stop at just shoes?). Considering I've been on a major shoe binge lately, I probably shouldn't even be browsing this site, but, well, I can't help myself.

This Chie Mihara Mary Jane has a '20s gun-moll look that will work perfectly with fall's upcoming Poiret cocoon coats, drop waists and Art Deco prints.


This nude cutout pump from Brazilian line Corso Como is perfect for wearing now--well, once all the snow melts, of course.


The Matt Berenson Love sandal is the perfect minimal summer shoe--and clearly lots of people agree with me, as it's currently not in stock for any size under 10.


And I kind of love this totally '80s Savoy heel from Twelfth Street by Cynthia Vincent. On sale, but, sadly, not available in my size.


Okay, so maybe when it comes to sale shoes, Barefoot Tess still doesn't have every size. But being able to find your size--whether it's a 6.5, an 8.5 or an 11.5--in cute, fashionable, full-price shoes? Priceless.

No comments