Gottex Spring 2009
Where & When: Monday, September 8th at 8 p.m., the Tent, Bryant Park
Runway Recap: Whenever I go to a fashion show, I like to think, "Who buys this stuff?" Is the client a career woman? A lady who lunches? A downtown party girl? But sitting through the Gottex show, I was at a loss. The collection was inspired by the Mediterranean, and the way in which the swimsuits were styled would lead me to believe that they're targeting the St. Tropez yacht crowd, but, as anyone who's been to a European beach can tell you, bikini tops are beside the point there, much less one-piece suits. So, again, who buys this stuff? The first series of looks were black with metallic gold anchor accents, accessorized with ridiculously oversized hats. Then came graphic prints, followed by bright neon suits, and then some not-so-bad Asian-inspired prints. Then came a series that were adorned with what I can only call chopsticks; all of a sudden, I had a craving for sushi. At the end were what I suppose were bridal swimsuits, since they were all white; one involved a belted bikini bottom with a hooded, draped top. That's right--a hooded bikini. I have a feeling that one is not going to make it to the stores in quite the same way; as for the others, well, there must be some yacht-hopping ladies out there who actually wear this stuff. Right?
Standout Look: This bandeau bikini was the the youngest and, to me, the most wearable look that came down the runway. And, let's face it--bikinis should be the provenance of the young.
Bonus Points: I had a seat that was close enough to the runway to see that 110-pound models have thighs that jiggle when they walk. Models--they're just like us!
Where to buy: Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Everything but Water

No comments