Cheryl Shops Fall Shopping Guide: Bib Necklaces
I tend to give Vera Wang a hard time, because I feel like she bends over backwards so as not to send too-pretty looks down the runway. We get it, Vera, you're not just a bridal designer. Nevertheless, Vera collaborated with one of my favorite jewelry designers, Philip Crangi, to create gorgeous, vintage-inspired oversized jewels to go with her fall collection. (You can read about it here.) My favorite pieces were the big, chunky cut crystal bib necklaces, and if there's one thing I like in the world, it's huge jewelry.

$$$
Here's the Vera Wang necklace that I was talking about. It's cut glass, which is very fancy-looking, but it's strung on a cord that ties in back, which keeps it low key. And the neutral colors mean you can wear it with pretty much anything.


If the thought of wearing cut glass around your neck is troubling, Burberry's geometric necklace has more of a chunky gemstone look. It's also not quite as large. And while the price may seem daunting for costume jewelry, keep in mind that a real gemstone necklace of this sort would probably cost at least ten times as much.


And while I chose to give Vera Wang the credit for this trend, the truth is that Marni has been making oversized bib necklaces for years. This breastplate necklace doesn't have the crystal or gemstone look of the others, but I like the vaguely ethnic feel of it, and it's a great alternative for those who want more of an edge.


$$
Anthropologie's Oberon Necklace looks like something Nicole Kidman's character would wear in Moulin Rouge--it has kind of an Indian, maharajah look to it (or, some might argue, a Van Cleef & Arpels look). With so many colors, however, coordinating your look might be a challenge.


I like this Rachel Leigh Jewelry "Millies Eating Contest" necklace (crazy name, I know), because it looks like vintage costume jewelry. Of course, one could argue that you could probably find a similar but unique vintage piece for much less, but sifting through vintage jewelry is often a tedious process, and ordering from Shopbop is generally so much easier. Also, I simply like the design.


Ravinstyle has a bunch of great geometric necklaces from Substance; this hexagon bib necklace is my favorite. The design is not at all fussy, but it's still interesting to look at. I am all for neutral colors too.


$
I can't really picture any of Ann Taylor's clientele wearing this statement-making bib necklace, but, then again, I haven't exactly set foot in an Ann Taylor store in years. Still, with that in mind, I picture this with a simple black sheath dress, preferably strapless.


There was another necklace at Banana Republic that I wanted to link to instead, but it sold out, so here's this one instead. The stones at first looked like shells to me, which made me think of a bohemian, summery kind of look, but the more I think about it, the more I think this necklace would look great with anything from a black turtleneck to a button-down shirt. For the price, I think it's an exceptional deal.


This mustard & sage necklace looks so Anthropologie to me; why this one is $48 while the necklace above is nearly $400, I have no idea. Still, I think it's a cute way to add some color to your look, and due to the sunny look of it, you can wear it well into summer.

No comments