MasstigeWatch!

Proving the theory I espoused last month--that if a "rumor" about Target turns up in WWD, it's generally true--Target announced that Jean Paul Gaultier will indeed be its next designer collaboration [subscription required]. The collection hits 250 Target stores (and Target.com) March 7th; Anna Sui was in 600 stores, so this will be a much smaller distribution. The previous two designer collaborations, with Alexander McQueen and Sui, were both inspired by pop culture figures; as of now, no information is available on who Gaultier's inspiration will be. (Madonna, maybe?) I think Gaultier is an interesting choice for Target, which, until now has picked pretty hot and influential designers, from Proenza Schouler to Rodarte. Gaultier has a loyal following--and he is a master tailor, not to mention the first couturier to collaborate with Target--but I'd venture to say his influence peaked in the '90s. Then again, with the '80s-'90s revival that's been happening on the runways, perhaps it's time for a Gaultier renaissance.

And, I feel like I might have linked to this already, but The Cut has full images from the Jimmy Choo for H&M collection. I must say, I am sick of writing about this collaboration, and it doesn't hit stores for another three weeks. Still, the dresses (particularly the studded mini and the black maxi) are looking better than ever to me. Looks like I'll be standing in line after all.

No comments