Recommended Reading: new blogs

I tend to express my love of fashion through words; I consider myself a writer after all, and as those of you who read my Fashion Week posts know, photography is not exactly my strong suit. That said, I find photography-focused fashion blogs incredibly inspiring--in the case of Jak & Jil, Sea of Shoes, and, yes, the Sartorialist, a picture truly can speak a thousand words. And while I love so-called amateur bloggers (although two of the three I've listed above can hardly be called amateurs anymore), sometimes it's refreshing to see a seasoned professional get into the blogging game. Enter TerrysDiary, a new Tumblr blog from famed fashion photographer Terry Richardson. Like most Tumblr blogs, TerrysDiary consists chiefly of photos with very short captions, but the photos are so fantastic, they don't need much in the way of narration. Subjects range from top models (Catherine McNeil, Abbey Lee, Karlie Kloss) to family members to celebrity friends (Josh Hartnett, Kirsten Dunst) to wacky self-portraits to totally random objects. It's all brilliant insight into what inspires Richardson and what it's like to see the world through his eyes.

And speaking of The Sartorialist, as much as I love it, the blog is certainly ripe for a good parody. Not only does The Catorialist get the lighting and the titles correct, it deftly combines the style-gushing of the Sartorialist with the "OMG so cute" vibe of cat blogs (in a way more mellow manner, of course). My only criticism is that there's not enough text--the Sartorialist generally lets his photos speak for him, but he will often describe what drew him to his subjects. I should note that I'm not really a cat person (I'm allergic to them), but this blog is very well done, and quite amusing. And it allows me to ogle pretty kitties without sneezing.

No comments