Adam by Adam Lippes Spring 2011

When & Where: Saturday, September 11 at 2 p.m., the Stage, Lincoln Center
Runway Recap: Adam Lippes worked for Oscar de la Renta for years, which is not something that his urbane basics generally bring to mind. But in his spring collection, inspired by Charlotte Gainsbourg's character in the movie The City of Your Final Destination, Lippes took a decidedly more feminine direction, and it was completely refreshing. The collection featured a series of flouncy lace dresses that were almost childlike in their innocence and sweetness. In between, he sent some great sportswear down the runway, from chunky yet open-knit sweaters to some of the best high-waisted flare pants I've seen. The palette was a dreamy blend of peach, ivory, and gray, punctuated with some fabulous red Manolo Blahnik sandals (which, yes, I could actually see from my seat). If your style falls firmly into the feminine category, I suggest marching straight over to Adam next season--so far, nobody has done it better this week.
Standout Look: Of all the pretty dresses Lippes showed, this one was my favorite. It's hard to see from the photo, but the lower part is actually eyelet. It's an update of the sack dress, which is, in my opinion, a highly underutilized shape (it hides a multitude of sins), and it's versatile.
Bonus Points: I was super happy to finally be invited to Adam, and as I mentioned before, my seat was low enough that I could actually see the model's shoes (a rarity for me). Win-win!
Where to Buy: Click here for stores.

No comments