Lazy shopping: spring fashion trends under $100

 This is the time of year when winter clothes start to disgust me. I'm not entirely sick of my own clothes (yet--that tends to come toward the end of February), but nothing in the stores is exciting. Seeing so many racks of sad, bedraggled clothes that no one wants doesn't exactly inspire me to shop. So I think of January as a time to start plotting what to buy for spring. And because, as I mentioned earlier, I'm trying to behave myself financially this month, everything here is under $100. So start shopping--everything here is "wear now," as they say.
Spring Trends under $100
Clockwise from top left:

In this article in last week's Thursday Styles section, Brandon Holley, the new editor-in-chief of Lucky, noted that the magazine will be ditching the bohemian look it made famous. Which, because I'm a rebel, made me want to go totally bohemian for spring. (And, also, the spring runways were all over the boho look.) This hat is totally J.Lo circa 2002, but it's inexpensive and chic, and you're totally going to wear it all summer long. Elona Floppy Hat, $20

This necklace is called Calamity Jewel, which kind of makes me laugh. Also, I don't see statement necklaces going away anytime soon. This one is over-the-top, in a Bollywood kind of way, and so it's guaranteed to perk up whatever you're wearing. Calamity Jewel Necklace, $24

This leather jacket is on sale (and is only left in black now) but its lighter weight and soft, draped shape makes it a great transitional piece. BB Dakota Cartersville Leather Jacket, $74

As soon as I saw it in the Free People catalog that came last week, I became completely obsessed with this crochet tunic, and I'm clearly not the only one, because it's almost sold out in black and ivory (all sizes remain available in lavender).  Let's hope they restock. Engineered Crochet Tunic, $98

This tote is pretty much a knockoff of Vanessa Bruno's signature sequined canvas style, but for what it lacks in originality, it makes up for in price: at $14.50, you could easily buy one in every color. Women's Sequin-Trim Canvas Tote, $15

I've mentioned this before, but I really need to get a pair of nude platform pumps. This Sam Edelman pair looks good, and the price is right (and they still have my size left).  Sam Edelman Niland platform pumps, $95

I've been wearing skinny jeans for close to 10 years, and if there's a pair out there that gets me to try the '70s flare silhouette that's all over the place for spring, it's likely these Gap flare jeans. I love the slightly higher rise, and these look just fitted enough through the hips, thighs, and knees so as to not make one's thighs look like tree trunks.  Gap High rise flare jeans (faded dark wash), $70

Finally,  as someone who changes fragrance as often as underwear, I can attest that scent can greatly alter your mood. There's something fresh and blossoming yet warm and comforting--and, yes, certainly a little bohemian--about Jo Malone's Vanilla and Anise perfume. Vanilla & Anise Cologne, $55

1 comment

Katy said...

OMG so excited for spring trends, especially global prints and '70 influences. My current obsession is Theodora & Callum scarves, and they haven't even launched yet. Here's a link to their brand video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdcWAtF4J3Q